Posted comments (16)

Posted by Sam at May 7, 2009 08:14:04 UTC
Hi there, i want to offer online food ordering service, and i have the address list of those restaurants where they are located in difference places. The question is, when a customer input their own address, how can we compare the customer's address with our restaurant database, and give out the closest restaurant available in terms of direct distance between two points?

Thanks a lot

Sam
Posted by Steveg23 at November 28, 2010 22:17:14 UTC
This is a great utility; but are the results given in true bearings or magnetic?
Posted by Jp at April 11, 2011 23:19:23 UTC
Hi, this is great utility, but is there an error in bearing calculation? No matter how short the distance is, the bearing difference between points A and B is at least one degree. My guess is that there is systematic error of one degree in the one end or another.

Cheers,
JP
Posted by Robert Lie at April 13, 2011 00:18:36 UTC
JP, thanks for noticing this error. It is now fixed.
Posted by Abdul Qadir Khan at June 1, 2011 19:09:51 UTC
how to locate the four points on google map and how to connect those points with each other so that we may print it.
for example:the distance between four sets of longitudes and latitudes coordinates result in four different points, how we can locate those four points on map.
Posted by Peter Calver at July 17, 2011 16:16:47 UTC
Magnetic North declination in the UK is approximately 1.5 deg West.
Discovered this trying to set up a TV aerial in the direction of the transmitter(s). Great site - you can look up the Post codes of the local TV transmitters on line. Put in your own and get a bearing for pointing the aerial.
Posted by Douglas Ray at August 19, 2012 10:34:12 UTC
why can I not save this to file after I have made a distance calculation. I particularly need the map in *.jpg format
Posted by Asdf at October 29, 2012 21:31:13 UTC
Does anyone know if the bearings given include local declination? From Peter Calver's comment, I'm guessing not.
Posted by Pete Stephens at November 27, 2013 17:42:32 UTC
Hi,

Found this site about a month back and thought brilliant - just what I have been looking for.

However I have just come to use it again over the past few days and after the initial route and bearing between two entered locations (which still works perfectly) clicking on a point on the map to re-set a location A or B comes back with undefined co-ordinates?

I have tried several PC's, Vista, XP and IE9, IE8, Chrome and FireFox and they all do the same?

Any thoughts?

Pete
Posted by Mike Ray at March 1, 2015 09:00:41 UTC
Please have the option to use degrees,minutes, and seconds instead of decimal degrees. all my equipment set up this way hard to have to convert every time I use this. thanks Mike ray
Posted by Pete Stephens at July 24, 2015 13:10:37 UTC
Hi,

Am I the oly one that this stopped working for a couple of years ago?

It was brilliant and I would pay money for it but after the first calculation and display on the map selecting another point by clicking on the map and for example changing this to be location B just generates an undefined location error?

As I mentioned before this stopped woring on all browsers I have, i.e. latest versions of IE Chrome, Firefox and on a varietry of OS's XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8.1.

It would be wondeful to have this back working :)

Regards,

Pete
Posted by Robert Lie at July 30, 2015 22:51:08 UTC
Pete,

The problem is now fixed.

The map is now using Google Map Api v3 instead of the old v1 version.
Posted by Pete Stephens at August 1, 2015 14:09:03 UTC
Hi Robert,

I just tried it and it worked and thought wow - then I saw your comment.

If nobody else appreciates your effort, I for one am ecstatic to have this back working.

Many, many thanks for reading my comment and of course fixing it :)

Regards,

Pete
Posted by Bob at December 2, 2015 00:03:00 UTC
Hi, Is there a way to store Location A Latitude and Longitude data?
Posted by Alan at December 2, 2015 11:25:59 UTC
Why not just give magnetic bearings. From a compass, London is not setting at 45'! which is correct my compass or your program?
Posted by Mike R at May 7, 2016 05:28:38 UTC
Magnetic readings are NOT accurate and are off by deferent amounts depending on where you are on the earth because the earths magnetic field is NOT uniform all over the world. Better accuracy is obtained by using great circle readings. Magnet bearings are only good for short distances. Your compass will be off because of the large distance to London and also the magnetic declinations at your location.