3D Studio Max (3dsmax) is a 3D modeling, animation, and rendering tool.
It is owned by Autodesk, an United States (San Rafael, California) based company.
More information about 3D Studio Max can be found at: http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax/
Note: A free 30 days trial version can be downloaded from the Autodesk site.
Some 3D Studio Max forums:
Create a teapot with background (teapot4_background.max).
This guide is based on 3D Studio Max 7.
This model will later be exported to an m3g file and will be used to demonstrate
camera movements in space.
Step 1: Load the teapot model
Step 2: Add a background
- Download teapot3_color_texture.max
See quick guide "Create a teapot with color and texture".
- Start 3D Studio Max 7.
- Load teapot3_color_texture.max, select menu: File | Open
Note: If you see the File Load: Units Mismatch dialog, choose the
option Adopt The File's Unit Scale. This will change your system unit,
so be sure to reset your system unit after completing this quick guide.
Step 3: Add a camera
- Download the texture image space.png (128x128 pixels) to C:\
- Select menu: Rendering | Environment (or press key 8).
- Select Environment tab. In the Common Parameters rollout, press button "None".
- The Material/Map Browser is opened.
- Choose Bitmap and click OK.
- The "Select Bitmap Image File" dialog opens.
Select the downloaded space.png from C:\ folder and click Open.
- Close the "Environment and Effects" window.
- In the Perspective View, select Camera01 en press the Quick Render button (or F9).
You should see the space background.
Step 4: Render scene
- This teapot model will be used to demonstrate camera movements.
For this reason another camera will be added.
- In the toolbar, change the Reference Coordinate System from View to World.
- Go to the Create panel
and click Cameras .
In the Object Type rollout, select Target.
- In the Parameters rollout, select Stock Lensens button 28mm.
- Enable Show Cone
- In the Clipping Planes group, enable Clip Manually. Enter the following values:
- Draw Camera03 in the Left viewport (5 gridlines up) and the target points to the teapot.
- Select Camera03 and press the Select and Move button
- The Coordinate Display area (see bottom of the window) now shows Camera03 position.
To position Camera03 directly above the teapot, enter the following values:
X=0,0 | Y=0,0 | Z=500,0
- Press the H on the keyboard, then choose Camera03 from the list.
- On the Modify panel ,
goto the Parameters rollout and locate the Type: field.
Click the drop-down arrow and choose Free Camera.
This step is needed because this scene will later be exported to an m3g file.
Step 5: Save model
- Select the Perspective viewport and press the C on the keyboard to change into the Camera viewport.
- Because more then 1 camera is added to the scene, the select camera window is displayed. Select Camera03.
- Press the Quick Render button (or F9).
- You should see the following:
Step 6: Explanation
- Select menu: File | Save as.
- Save the model as teapot4_background.max.
Before we finish with this quick guide, some explanation is needed: