Installing BitComet 0.87
Operating system used
Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 SP 2
- Before you start installing BitComet, you need to determine which free portnumber you can use.
- A list of well known portnumbers can be found at:
More information about portnumbers can be found at:
Do NOT use any of these well known portnumbers.
It is recommended to use a portnumber in the range 49152-65535.
These ports are not used by any defined application.
- In this tutorial portnumber 13766 will be used. To check if your Windows environment does not use this portnumber, open a DOS window and type:
Using command netstat -a does not give you 100% guarantee that this portnumber is not used by any of your applications on your computer.
- Download BitComet_0.87_setup.exe and run this program.
- Select your language.
- Close all other applications and press Next button.
- Read license agreement and press I Agree button.
- Choose which features of BitComet you want to install.
In this guide we just leave all settings as is. Press Next button.
- Enter the location where to install BitComet.
- BitComet is installing.
- Press Finish button to close the wizard.
- BitComet is started.
- You can skip this step. This is just a personal preference.
- Disable Floating Window. Select menu: View | Floating Window
- Disable Recommend Window. Select menu: View | Recommend Window
- Select menu: Options | Preferences
- Select Connection | Proxy.
BitComet is usually installed at home without using a proxy.
- Select Task.
Specify the Default destination directory.
For example: C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\bitcomet
This is the directory where the downloaded files are stored and where other BitComet users can download files from.
- Select Advanced | Connection.
Select the options as displayed in the screenshot.
Press the OK button to finish changing the preferences.
- Now BitComet is setup to download .torrent files.
A site where you can download legal torrents can be found at:
- If you find a torrent file, the URL looks something like this:
- Click the torrent link and a Task Properties window will open.
- Click the OK button
- After the file is downloaded you can find it at the Default destination directory.
In this example: C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\bitcomet
Note: Files which are not downloaded completely will have the file extension .bc!