To enable the web server to serve midlets, you need to set the following MIME types on the web server:
Besides configuring the web server, make sure the following is done:
- text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor for .jad files (Java Application Descriptor files)
Now the the customer can download the midlet on its mobile device:
- In the JAD file the MIDlet-Jar-Size attribute must contain the correct size of the JAR file.
- In the JAD file the MIDlet-Jar-URL attribute must contain the HTTP URL where to fetch the JAR file. For example, http://www.mobilefish.com/midlets/TestMIDlet.jar
- Place the JAR and JAD file in a public area of your web server.
- On the mobile device, start the Java Application Management (JAM) software and select the wireless installation option.
- Enter the URL of the Java Application Descriptor (JAD).
For example, http://www.mobilefish.com/midlets/TestMIDlet.jad
- The mobile device will now download and install the application.