|The Java Pet Store is a popular J2EE example application in the J2EE Blueprints series, created by Sun Microsystems. It models an e-commerce application where customers can purchase pets online using a Web browser. The purpose of this application is to demonstrate the capabilities of the J2EE platform and is written for learning purposes (for example to illustrate the many different design patterns on various part of J2EE). It is not coded for performance and is not intended for performance benchmarks.
The Java Pet Store 1.3.2 follows the J2EE 1.3 specs which is a set of related specifications and can be seen as a single standard for implementing and deploying enterprise applications. Java Pet Store 1.3.2 demonstrates the following:
The Pet Store application comes with full source code and documentation, and the latest release can be downloaded from: http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/index.html#java_pet_store_demo
- How to use Java Server Pages (jsp).
- How to use Java Servlets.
- How to use Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB).
- How to use Java Message Service (JMS).
- How to use JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL).
- How to use the Java API for XML-based RPC (JAX-RPC).
- How to use SOAP.
- How to exchange and process XML-based documents.
- How to develop flexible, scalable, cross-plaform enterprise applications.
- How to use the Java BluePrints guidelines and patterns.
- Illustrate basic usage of J2EE technology with current best practices.
More information about Pet Store can be found at:
The petstore-1_3_2.zip is no longer available at the http://java.sun.com/blueprints/ site.
Sun.com discourage people from investing time in learning it since its old, and instead encourage developers to learn the newer material.
However there are several companies using the old BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF) where the petstore 1.3.2 demo is based on. Download the petstore-1_3_2.zip file.
Installing BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF).
The downloaded petstore-1_3_2.zip contains besides the actual Pet Store application also another application which demonstrates the working of the BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF).
Operating system used
Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 SP 2
Java 2 Standard Edition SDK (J2SE SDK), v1.4.1 or higher
Java 2 Enterprise Edition SDK (J2EE SDK), v1.3.1
- Follow the procedure 1-4 as described in Installing Java Pet Store 1.3.2.
- To rebuild the BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF):
The BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF) ear file can be found at:
- To deploy the BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF):
- Run the BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF):
- To undeploy the BluePrints Web Application Framework (WAF):
- There are more targets which you can use besides deploy and undeploy, see <petstore.home>\src\waf\src\build.xml