|The Eclipse Workbench is an open source platform, designed by IBM and released to the open source community. It is an open, portable, universal tooling platform that provides frameworks, services and tools for building tools.
In essence the workbench provides the tool infrastructure. With this infrastructure in place, the tool builders are able to focus on the actual building of their tools. The workbench has been designed for maximum flexibility to support the development of tools for new technologies that may merge in the future.
Industry leaders Borland, IBM, Merchant, QNX Software Systems, Rational Software, RedHat, SuSE, TogetherSoft, and WebGain formed the initial eclipse.org board of directors and began work on the Eclipse open source project.
More information about The Eclipse Workbench can be found at:
Eclipse FAQ can be found at:
The latest Eclipse version can be downloaded from: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
There are hundreds of plugins which you can add to Eclipse, for example plugins for testing, code management, uml, xml, etc. The Eclipse plugins can be found at: http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/
Developing J2EE application using Eclipse and JBoss-IDE
Operating system used
Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 SP 2
JBoss 3.0 or higher
Eclipse version 2.1.0 or higher
- An excellent tutorial has been written by Hans Dockter and Laurent Etiemble, to demonstrate how simple it is to develop a J2EE application with Jboss-IDE/Eclipse. The J2EE application computes the Fibonacci suite with one session EJB and one Servlet.
Download JBoss IDE 1.2.0 Tutorial (Tutorial_1.2.0.pdf).
Download the Eclipse project file containing the Fibonacci application (fibo_tutorial.jar).
Download the J2EE application FiboApp.ear.
- To import the fibo_tutorial.jar into Eclipse do the following:
- Create a directory e.g.: c:\>mkdir mytutorial
- Move the downloaded fibo_tutorial.jar into directory mytutorial: c:\mytutorial\fibo_tutorial.jar
- Unjar the file: c:\mytutorial>jar xvf fibo_tutorial.jar
- Start Eclipse.
- Select Java Perspective.
- Select menu: File | Import.
- Select an import source: "Existing Project into Workspace".
- Select mytutorial directory.
- The project "Tutorial" is created in Eclipse. Please note: The files from the mytutorial directory are NOT copied to your workspace.
- If you deploy the J2EE application (FiboApp.ear) on the JBoss sever default configuration, the following error message can be displayed:
14:05:02,108 ERROR [Manager] could not create Store: org.mortbay.j2ee.session.JGStore
To solve this problem, copy file JBOSS_HOME\server\all\lib\javagroups-2.0.jar to JBOSS_HOME\server\default\lib
- If the FiboApp.ear is deployed successfully, access this application on a web server by entering: